Monday, December 30, 2013

The farewell

In Cuba the situation has reached a limit that, as my mother says, people have lost their love for life and the respect for the death. Starting with the bureaucratic system in which we live; a funeral in Cuba is the most depressing thing. To start with, you only have 24 hours to gather the family, have funeral and bury the dead.

After the Pope John Paul II visited the isle, more people started to have a service at the cemetery church a few minutes before the burial, and it is very short, because the priest has a few funeral sermons to give up. I guess that, except for the name nothing changes in his speech. The ugliest building in Cuba is the funeral home, which has several lounges, and inside the walls are of a gray and cold marble. Each lounge is equipped with aluminum and plastic rocking chairs, the most uncomfortable furniture you can sit to cry your beloved dead. What's worse is that during the 24 hours you're there, trying to accept reality, all kinds of people come to visit. Specially the curious and the relatives who never remembered the dead when he was alive. Every funeral has a tearful person, which stands in front of the dead looking through the glass and shouting: Ouch! Unfortunately that! So young! He was a good person! Look, he looks like he is asleep! It's like he is going to wake up at any moment! Or the typical cry: Why? Why? Why did you do this? Fortunately always appears somebody who controls the hysteric crier. I came to believe that someone paid them to do the show. But that's not the worst part. The visit becomes aware gossip. From a corner, watching to everyone in the room and saying: Oh, did you see how emaciated was deceased... Dresses ( the ) widow (er ) has not missed a tear. Girl, if I heard that she (he) already has someone... What's the future of those children, a stepfather (or mother) is not good... And they will tell ten thousand versions of how the deceased died. For you to have an idea, these rooms have better acoustics than the national theater. How many times do the family has to hear that cold phrase "I'm so sorry". Sometimes I'd asked them, what are you sorry for? In the cemetery, the gravediggers are in such a hurry to put in place the pitiful coffin, that often do not even wait until all the family has gathered around. They almost close the cold cement thumb lid on our nose. Nobody says anything about the person who had just past away. People turn around and go, as zombies, back to their routine of survival. The widow, mother, sons, return home to mourn silently against the wall.

After what experience you can imagine I don't do very well in funerals. But when it comes to accompany a friend on his lost, what can we do. To my surprise the first service I attended in the U.S. was in a church. The family put photos of their mother at different stages of her life at the entrance, all the shots were beautiful, they had a guest book in which all the visitor signed and an album with photos of her last birthday party. From the hallway I could hear the piano. In the center of the church the coffin looked like a music box, with a beautiful bouquet of white lilies above. The place could not have been more welcoming.

When the service began, I can swear that I felt I was in a Hollywood set, because I had only seen something so special and perfect in a romantic comedy. The family came by with the singing of the choir, to which I joined humming because I did not know the lyrics. After the first sermon the pastor gave, came a chorus of bells. I closed my eyes and in my mind I saw butterflies flying, all was peace in the garden where the tinkling of bells were produced by millions of colorful wings. Then it followed a prayer, which if I remember correctly, it was 1 Corinthians 13, one of my favorite bible verses .

The nicest thing about this funeral; I would name it different, because neither “service” is a proper name; was to see a whole family together, diversity filled the view. Children, spouses, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Their outfits could not be more elegant or show more respect, it reminded me of another of those films that I watched many times because I was so impressed by it: “La Bella mafia”. But in this case there was no Mafia, it was just the time, the memories and a beloved mother. They prepared everything in great detail, the music that she preferred, talked about all the wonderful things she planted within them. They said thank you, Mom. And they sang in chorus, accompanied by a violin. There were tears and laughter. And the final words of the pastor were very honest and simple for those, like me, who have not had the opportunity to meet the person we were saying goodbye .

Each of the children took a white lily, and walked behind the two men who carried the coffin in solemn step. The guests follow. The line of cars was formed, police stopped traffic and all arrived together to the cemetery, where there was a tent and chairs on a green carpet . A short prayer, the lilies were deposited on casket, there were hugs and tears. Then we could talk to the family, tell them how nice was their mother's farewell. They were to gather together and celebrate the life of his mother. We walk to our car with other friends after we saw the family depart. That night I cheer for my lost friends and family in Cuba with a martini and tears of great relief.


AnechyNotes



No comments:

Post a Comment