Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Watch out for your weight!


In the last four month we've met a lot of people and eventually got together for drinks and dinner. Food seems to be a motivation or a good reason to have a conversation. Most of the first mates I've talk to, complain about the same thing:gaining a lot of weight on the boat. You would think that it is because we are seating around most of the time. Actually we are not. But we might be eating more calories than we really need. “Now, how come men don't suffer from this problem? They stay pretty much in the same shape.” The ladies said. Well, they spend theirs calories thinking about the mechanical systems, water makers, toilets heads, generators, and on and on. Especially the: “What is going to break next?” It's got to be that, because Jim's belly goes down in less than a week, and then I need to move the buttons of his pants again.

But me? My blouses are fitting tie! I do Yoga, drink a lot of water, walk as much as I can when we go ashore and swim. I cut down the coffee, the bread and cheese, but nothing seems to improve. I don't know what to do next: run around the deck? Then I found this book: “French Women Don't Get Fat”. By Mireille Guilliano. It is about the secret of eating for pleasure. On the first lines I read on the cover page says: “not guilty or deprivation but learning how to get the most from the things you enjoy”. Then my French friend Chantal, who loves and enjoys food as much as I do, proves to me this theory of “not guilty”, after she finishes a huge plate. She is so slim! I feel like I should starve, when her husband says: “French women have svelte legs, because they eat a lot of frog legs”.



I rather be anchored though, then we avoid all the bad treats of restaurants in the marina. Raw fish and fresh fruits, at least keep me in a good mood. And the French women theory, I rather think is a genetic thing.

AnechyNotes

No comments:

Post a Comment