Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I might be hallucinating



February 14th. Maybe the news of the change of route animated me, I was feeling stupendous. Of course I was back to the cockpit, my now officially bedroom, but this time I grabbed a book, because I discovered that distracting my brain from the actual situation I felt better. Talking about entertainment! Jim keeps fishing lines out and in the middle of the struggle with the motor he caught a skip-jack tuna, very fat. It was a fight to pull it in the boat and a big mess to clean, but we ate good sushimi.

Our joy didn't last too much, the engine was still fighting with the dirty fuel. And we were using our last filter. The big issue was: “It's the boat going to make it to Dominica?” It was hard to watch the island just 3 miles away... We were both exhausted, but Jim needed to rest from that crazy night. He looked at me and said: “I'm sorry, but if keep having problems we can still sail to St Lucia. We'll have the wind”. My mother always says: “If you are riding on a donkey, your only choice is hit it with the stick to make it walk”. In other words: “we've already gotten this far... a 100 more miles are not going to kill us. We'll make it!” So he started doing some work on the sails up on the deck and while I was watching him I started to talk to the boat:

Salty Shores, from now on, your body is my body,
and I'm part of you, like you are part of myself.
If you go down on a wave, I'll go with you, and
when you come back to the surface, I'll stand by you,
'cause we are just one assemblage.

From this moment the ocean, you and me
share the same spirit, we are all harmony and waves
dancing on this Universe of peace.

And the wind is the master of our sails,
that are not sails any more, but wings,
if you fly, I'll ride on you,
'cause sea, wind, you and me, are the same thing.

Salty Shores, I'll vibrate in the same chord
of your strings, don't leave your heart give up
for one lost battle, your pack still believe in you.”

It was near the sunset when we picked up a mooring in Portsmouth, Dominica. I don't know where Jim got energies from, to jump in the water and clean the bottom of the boat. Chocolate!

AnechyNotes

No comments:

Post a Comment