Tuesday, December 26, 2017

America, the dream land

September 19/15

Then I became a United States Citizen. That happened like a shooting star. Time flies and 5 years later, after all the struggle that leaving Cuba meant to me, here I am, a few hours away from swearing Oath to the Flag of the United States of America. The process of becoming “American” has been for me; as my beloved says: fast track. I got introduced to all the good things that this country can offer by being with him, traveling around the country, sailing in the Caribbean. It has been a second college education.

I got to experience what is to have a job and a capitalist boss. Pay taxes, which is quite traumatizing the first time one looks at the paycheck and a big chunk of it is gone for good. I did get to file for return income tax, not just for myself, but for hundreds of people, while working at a tax company in 2011. I learned so much, especially about all the drama people bring to the office when filing for tax returns and credits.

Then I moved further north, still in the south, but as we say in Florida: the further north you go, the more development you see. I fell in love with North Carolina.

I have, though, a hard time adapting to the lack of diversity.

Things have changed a lot since those days, and I finally get to enjoy the nice people that I find everywhere. I still miss the greatest thing we have in Cuba: the culture and the mix of races. I am myself African, Hindi and Spanish. I'm very proud of my ancestors. I think diversity has brought more understanding and respect into the Cuban culture, even when some people insist that there is racism in the island, it is nothing compared to what I see in the United States. I can tell that black and white people won't mix very well here, especially in the south.


Today waiting at the Immigration and Naturalization Center for my citizenship ceremony; I got to share emotions with people from 27 countries, different ethnic groups and religions. There, I got to taste the heart of this wonderful country. Where people came seeking for freedom, opportunity and happiness. This is a country where we, immigrants, should feel welcomed with open arms.

AnechyNotes

No comments:

Post a Comment