Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bequia

I think this day by day journal might look like a “chickflic”, especially coming from a “free Cuban bird” like some of my friends already call me.

Well this free bird got beat up by the 18-22 knots winds sailing from St. Lucia to St. Vincent and the Grenadines. So, as usual, I travelled upside down. But that morning our Captain said: “this is going to be a brisk sail”. After a definition class of the word “brisk”, I agreed it was.

Now, I love having Archie on board, he is always cheerful; that gave me my courage back. It took us 8 hours to get to Port Elizabeth in Bequia. I found it colorful and very alive. With about two miles of coastline in the bay there were coffee shops, bars, restaurants, fruits stands and more, that really gives you plenty of things to do and places to explore.

There were at least 75 boats in the bay moored or anchored. As soon as we entered the bay, the boat boy, African, came along side Salty Shores, to rent us one of his moorings. In the beginning Jim didn't want to pick up a mooring, since we only draft 4 feet, we can anchor in shallow water easily. But by coincidence our friends from Nova Scotia, Joanne and Gene were on a mooring just a few boat ahead. “We are looking for Ely Blue” he said to African, who immediately yelled “Gene is on one of my moorings!” Then Jim said: "OK, I'll take one of your moorings".

Well, 15 dollars (US) later we were all set up and Joanne and Gene were coming by to say hello and make a get-together-plan for next morning.

The anchorage was calm and we were very sure it will be a nice sleep night, so we all went to bed right after dinner, about nine o' clock.

AnechyNotes

No comments:

Post a Comment